Sunday, September 22, 2013

Baby cries

The NICU is a pretty quiet place.  Most of the sounds that you hear are beeps and alarms from desats, bradys, IVs, ventilators, and isolettes.  They each have a different tone and I have learned all of the alarm sounds.  Every once in a while you will hear another sound...a baby crying.  Joshua is intubated so he is unable to use his vocal chords, but I wonder - will I ever get to hear my baby cry?  He did not come out of my womb crying.  He had a very rough start - he came out grimacing Dr. Shepherd said, and it took the doctors a while to resuscitate and get his heart rate up. 

I long for the day that I get to hear that beautiful crying sound.  A sound I took for granted with my other kids.  Lactation consultants think listening to a baby cry will help me with my pumping.  NO WAY I scream in my head - I don't want to hear other babies cry!  I only let-down to my baby crying!  Mine has never cried, maybe never will...how does that help, it only makes me sad.  I pray that one day I will get to hear that beautiful sound from Joshua.



No comments:

Post a Comment