Sunday, September 15, 2013

*C-PAP!!!

What an exciting day it was when we learned Joshua had been extubated and was on C-PAP.  We had no idea this was even a possibility.  Dr. Luce had been wanting to get him on C-PAP since he was at Riverside, but with Joshua's belly issues we could not try it.  During rounds in the morning the surgeons gave Dr. Luce a choice...milk feeds or change to C-PAP.  She chose C-PAP.  When we called in for the update and heard the news I wanted to get in to see my little boy asap.  I was curious and scared to see what he would look like with the C-PAP mask.  But with all that was going on in our house over the weekend I wasn't sure we'd be able.  I'm so glad Mom Rum was able to come in early to allow Joe and I to see our little boy - together. 
 
First they tried bubble C-PAP, but then had to move him to SiPAP because too much air was being lost through his nostrils.  Big Nostrils like his Daddy?  The mask fit him better and Joshua was doing really well breathing all on his own when we saw him at 10:30pm.  The NNP was in the room when we visited and was very enthusiastic about his progress and explained to us all the new monitors and procedures.  But then we got a call from the NNP at 2:30am saying that Joshua's CO2 level was too high and they had to reintubate him.  I cried, felt devastated.  I know babies go back and forth, but I so desperately needed good news, especially after the weekend that we had had.  Everything seems to be falling apart around us.  But we'll have to wait longer to see this masked little boy.  Hopefully next time he'll be strong enough to make the switch for good. 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment